13 Jul 2015

My (yet) personal suspicion on Big Data

Some Cambridge scientists say, Big Data should have 5 Big Vs (Volume, Velocity, Variety, Veracity, and Value) of Big Data, including:

  • its Volume in terms of size, or the number of variables needed to describe it,
  • its Velocity, in how it’s collected and processed in real-time,
  • the Variety of its diverse, linked and unstructured datasets,
  • its Veracity in terms of where it originates from and how complete it is,
  • and finally its Value, and especially how the use, linkage and re-use of data can provide crucial new insights that may have been unforeseen at the time the data was collected.
I've recently begun learning basics of data science to feel refreshed, yet based on my personal experience with Google (still receiving a handful spam emails unfiltered by Gmail) and Amazon (rarely alert me when a new book of series/authors I've been following, even I've bought tonnes of Kindle books), I am still not sure why those super intelligent data scientist cannot solve such appear-to-be-simple problems, which I'd love to know anyway:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment